Bi: The Hidden Culture, History and Science of Bisexuality
The Memory Illusion: Remembering, Forgetting and the Science of False Memory
Making Evil: The Science Behind Humanity's Dark Side
How to hire Dr. Julia Shaw
Contact the Champions Speakers Agency to provisionally enquire about hiring Dr. Julia Shaw for your next event, today. To get in touch, simply call an official booking agent on 0207 1010 553 or email us at [email protected] for more information.
** We do not accept requests for autographs, signed merchandise, fan mail, birthday messages or any other non-commercial contact with the speakers or acts. Each speaker on the website may not have necessarily worked with Champions in the past but are known to perform such engagements within the industry.
Dr. Julia Shaw's official speaking topics are listed below:
- Making Evil: The Curious Science Behind Cybercrime, Moral Blindness & False Memories - In this keynote, speaker Julia Shaw explores the darker side of tech. She discusses the ways in which criminology and psychology help us understand cybercrime, how business structures hide our humanity, and how misinformation can turn into false memories. She forces us to think about how Facebook curates peoples’ reality, and the tremendous responsibility that comes with this privilege. This thought-provoking talk also encourages us to think deeper about our morality, and how we can use tech and social media to help overcome some of humanity’s greatest threats.
- The Future of Memory - Can artificial intelligence contribute to how we remember our lives? In this keynote, speaker Dr. Julia Shaw introduces her latest cutting-edge research on how to remember any life event forever. Based on artificial intelligence and the latest cognitive science, Julia shows the audience how to go from a human brain to an artificial brain.Can memory be hacked? Is it possible to download or upload our memories? Technology is tremendously influential in our possibilities to document our lives and remember our memories. With new technologies, new ways of manipulating memories also emerged. Speaker Dr. Julia Shaw will show the audience how to protect themselves with the right tools. Join Julia to be both terrified and astonished by the future that awaits!
- Upgrade Your Workplace Culture - How should we talk about discrimination and harassment at the workplace? Is it possible to encourage a culture of discourage? According to the research by speaker Dr. Julia Shaw, anonymous reporting is the key to tackle workplace discrimination and harassment. She designed this presentation to show any audience the latest scientific research on the matter. Julia will specifically focus on solutions to improve how we report and deal with this issue. Julia will explain the best ways to preserve and extract emotional memories in a reliable way. It is tremendously important to talk about transgressions: to decrease barriers to reporting, she will show you the best reporting practices based on the latest research.
- The Memory Illusion - Speaker Dr. Julia Shaw offers this keynote do demystify memory and reveal a system which is far more flawed than we might think. She will challenge our sense of self and show the beauty of our brain’s imperfections. Memory is more than what we think of it: it allows us to learn, be creative and solve problems. In this talk, Julia will explore why memories paint an inaccurate picture of our past and the strategies to avoid common memory illusions. She leaves the audience with insightful takeaways and an important existential question: how can we know who we are, if we cannot trust our memories?
- Making Evil: The Science Behind Humanity's Dark Side - Are you evil? This keynote by Dr. Julia Shaw is a fascinating exploration of why we do and think about doing bad things. She will show in her presentation how to use to our advantage the same dispositions that make us capable of committing horrendous crimes. How similar is your brain to a psychopath’s? Who becomes a terrorist? Can AI be evil? Julia’s presentation is an amazing journey into a fascinating subject. To break down these important and timely issues, she utilizes a mixture of compelling science, popular culture and real life examples.
- 2022 - Author of 'Bi: The Hidden Culture, History and Science of Bisexuality'
- 2019 - Author of 'Making Evil: The Science Behind Humanity's Dark Side'
- 2017 - Research Associate at University College London
- 2017 - Co-Founder of Spot
- 2016 - Author of 'The Memory Illusion'
- 2015 - Senior Lecturer at London South Bank University
- 2013 - Lecturer in Forensic Psychology at the University of Bedfordshire
- 2009 - Lecturer at The University of British Columbia
- 2008 - Lecturer at the University of Waterloo