Chas read Business Studies at Nottingham Trent University, completing the course in 1979 achieving a 2(i) Honours degree before qualifying as a CIMA accountant two years later. A diploma of the Institute of Marketing followed one year after that. He then went on to pursue a finance career at a number of different companies including Cadbury Schweppes, TI Raleigh Cycles, Plessey Telecoms, Grand Metropolitan, Debenhams and The Burton Group gaining a wide range of industry and functional experience in the process.
Chas then spent 16 years in senior finance roles within the alcoholic beverages industry working with Diageo (United Distillers and Guinness), Allied Domecq Wines & Spirits and The Fosters Group. He worked both in the UK and overseas (Japan) in operational, regional and central roles.
Chas has a proven track record of delivering business improvement during periods of change (including during major international expansion programmes) through strengthening and rationalising business and financial controls. He has historically exceeded profit and cash targets through effective performance management.
Chas’s last major role was as CFO for SuperGroup Plc where he was part of a small management team leading a rapid expansion plan which saw the business grow from £41m in 2008 to £314m in 2012. He was appointed to drive enterprise value through controlled growth, and lead sale of the business to external investors. He chaired the project team to list the business on the London Stock Exchange in March 2010, winning IPO of the Year in the process and achieving FTSE250 status within 1 year.
Recently Chas embarked on a Portfolio Career and is actively involved in the following:-
- Non-executive directorships (including 1 Chair) in a variety of industries ranging from retail, broadcasting and safety clothing
- Trustee for a charity providing education for students with severe and complex disabilities as a path to independent living
- Angel investor and mentoring small start-up entrepreneurial businesses to deliver and fund growth prior to an exit
- Event speaking and presentations including conferences, after-dinner speeches, and lectures to schools and colleges
- Small business ventures (non-alcoholic drinks) together with a small partnership team
In his spare time Chas likes to spend time with his family (he is married with 2 sons aged 22 and 18), travel the world and watch live international sport. He also enjoys theatre, live music and socialising with friends Lately, he has embarked on a project to build a new family home in Gloucestershire where he lives.
To book Chas Howes as the retail speaker for your corporate event, function or conference, simply contact the Champions Speakers agency by emailing email@example.com or by calling a booking agent directly on 0207 1010 553.