Honouring the achievements of the past year’s most talked about and watched films, winning an Academy Award is the most sought after accolade for any blockbuster entertainment star.
The last year has been incredible for movies, with multi-million dollar box office sellouts including Gravity, 12 Years a Slave and The Wolf of Wall Street.
The key nominations for the 86th Academy Awards are as follows:
BEST LEAD ACTOR:
- Christian Bale – American Hustle – As Irving Rosenfield, as assistant to an FBI agentin order to entrap government officials.
- Bruce Dern – Nebraska – As Woody Grant, who believes he has won one million dollars in magazine sweepstakes.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave – As Solomon Northup, a free black man who becomes kidnapped and enters into the slave trade.
- Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club – As Ron Woodroof, a HIV diagnosed man who begins to obtain drugs once refused by American government and pharmaceutical companies.
- Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street – As Jordan Belfort, infamous fraudulent stockbroker and party animal.
BEST LEAD ACTRESS:
- Amy Adams – American Hustle – Alongside Christian Bale as a con artist who expands a small-time operator scope of scams through persuasion
- Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine – As Jasmine, who moves in with her sister after a marriage break up, proving quite a change after her formerly wealthy lifestlye
- Judi Dench – Philomena – As Philomena, who searches for her long lost child after giving her up for adoption years ago.
- Meryl Streep – August: Osage County – As Violet Weston, whose three daughters return for their father’s funeral.
- Sandra Bullock – Gravity – As Ryan Stone, who becomes stranded in space on her very first mission into space.
- 12 Years a Slave
- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- The Wolf of Wall Street
The 86th Oscars proves to be one of the most closely run contests for years due to the wealth of talent on offer in the past year. Perhaps these awards will be the year Leonardo DiCaprio wins his first elusive Oscar. Will Judi Dench go on to win her second Oscar after eight nominations in what is easily one of acting’s most illustrious careers?
All will become clear on Sunday 2nd March at the Dolby Theatre, LA. Tune in to find whether your favourite films of the past 12 months have been giving the praise you think they so deserve.
Champions Speakers have variety of entertainment acts including comedians, TV stars and music stars to suit any client’s needs. Browse through the Champions Speakers site today or call us direct on 0207 1010 553 today to discuss the perfect personality for your event.